Tuesday 17 December 2013

Tri Polish Challenge - Gold and purple Christmas trees


This is the first Tri Polish Challenge I am joining. The idea behind it is that you use the same 3 main polishes for 4 different looks (plus glitter/black/white). This month however you have to use silver, gold and a colour accent. I might have gone overboard with the accent part *coughs*. Today it is purple. And Christmas trees. Gold Christmas trees.


Polishes from left to right:
  • Essence - 157 My fortune cookie
  • Essence - Beauty Beats LE - 01 Baby, Baby, Ooh
  • Essence - Metal glam LE - 01 Steel-ing the scene
  • Catrice - 42 Nickel Minaj
  • Catrice - 41 Two Million Dollar Baby

I'm not that into gold, so my gold coloured polishes are very limited. The ones you see here are the ones I have, plus another Catrice one that is more bronze than gold. I think I need a gold foil still though, mostly for nail art. Yes, I actually need a gold coloured polish... can't believe I'm actually writing this. My fortune cookie is just not that opaque and would not stamp well at all.



On my index finger, middle finger and pinky I am wearing two coats of the streaky Nickel Minaj. On my pinky I simply added 1-2 coats of Steel-ing the scene (a coat plus a dab here and there). On my index and middle finger I topcoated it and then added striping tape to create the trees. I needed two coats of My fortune cookie to get to this. With my smallest dotting tool I added a purple garland and with a small nail art brush I freehanded stars (yes, that is a star, now shush). When it was dry I added more top coat to seal it in.



On my thumb and ring finger I have two coats of Baby, Baby, Ooh and 3 (yes, that many) coats of Two Million Dollar Baby. The glitter topper has silver hexagons and gold mini hexes and gives this mani lots of bling. I do like how it looks over a darker colour, and that purple... I love it, I will swatch it soon, I promise!


What do you think? To me it looks okay, but that's just because I have to get used to the gold and silver together like this. My mind has a hard time liking gold in this amount. It already had to cope with gold presents, it's getting overkill these weeks for sure! I do like the simplicity of the trees and they're very easy to do.

I wonder how much colour "accent" the other ladies have gone for...

6 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I'm the same with gold (I don't tend to use it outside challenges), but I love what you've done here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to hear I'm not the only one that is not fond of gold ;)

      Delete
  2. Heel leuk geworden! Vooral die kerstboompjes zijn erg schattig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like these! I had the same problem with finding a gold, all of mine super sheer. Your christmas trees are adorable though!

    ReplyDelete