Saturday 6 July 2013

Sugar spun nails


I have seen sugar spun nails on different blogs. I have been wanting to try this technique for a while now. The Nailasaurus did an easy tutorial not that long ago, you can find it here. Clean-up is hell, so I decided half-way to put tape on the sides of my nails. That way the blobs of nailpolish would sit on the tape and cleaning up was much easier.



Instead of picking one colour combination I went with 3 different ones. I'm not too fond of the purple and green combo, it would have been better if the contrast was higher between the two colours.

For my pinky and middle finger on my left hand (and index finger on my right hand) I went with:

 

  •  Catrice - 11 Miss Piggy's BF (base)
  •  Max striper - Sky blue
Left hand ring finger and thumb (and right hand middle finger and pinky) I used:

  • Catrice - 400 Blue Cara Ciao (base)
  • Max striper - Orange
For the remaining fingers (left index finger, right thumb and ring finger) I went with:


  •  Miss Helen (HEMA) - 187 (base, sadly no name)
  • Catrice - 10 I'm Not A Greenager
I seem to have a lot of darker purples. I wanted to use a lighter one, but the only one in the correct shade was a metallic polish. I only wanted to use proper cremes today, hence why I chose the Miss Helen purple. This is my least favourite colour combination.

Let's start with just the cremes before sugar spinning, also pre-clean-up. All shades are 2 coats plus a coat of top coat (Essence Better than gel nails top sealer fast dry). The purple bled into the top coat, which forced me to clean the brush between nails *grumbles*.


When everything was dry, I started "sugar spinning". I actually did part of it before dinner, and the rest after. It's not a fast technique and you have to do it nail by nail, but it was fun to do!

I'm pleased with the result, I love the orange threads on the blue base, it really pops. I did not add any top coat, so I catch myself running my fingers over the texture a lot. If you don't like textures on your nails, you could always add a top coat. Just be careful for bleeding the colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment