Saturday 3 August 2013

Blue Daleks

Source: Logo

Today's the day for something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. Dalek blue... Daleks are an old alien race in the science fiction tv series Doctor Who and were first created back in 1963. To me it my first try at making Doctor Who nail art, so there's the new. Last we have the borrowed. The amazing Mishka from Accio Lacquer did Dalek nails just over a month ago. Mishka is my favourite blogger, her posts are little works of art. She spices her posts with gifs, well thought out use of gorgeous fonts and I love the way she writes. I imagine her collection of indie polishes to be out of this world....*insert nail polish daydreaming*. Back to her Dalek nails. When I saw hers, I just knew I had to recreate it myself. The round nail studs I owned at that time were too big to try this, so I had to order smaller ones. I bought mine off eBay here and it took about 3 weeks to arrive. It was free shipping, so no complaints there.

I pondered a while about the type of Dalek I wanted to do. I wanted them to really pop so decided to go with one of the colourful ones, the Paradigm variant blue for strategist. There's actually an entire wiki page dedicated to the different types of Daleks for those interested here.


The polishes I used:


From left to right:

  • H K Girl top coat
  • Rimmel - 800 Black Out
  • Catrice - 400 Blue Cara Ciao

I started with painting all my nails with Blue Cara Ciao and letting it dry. It is a lovely blue colour. I used 2 coats.



I also used 2mm round nail studs, striping tape and tweezers.


Then I added striping tape to the nails I wanted to have Daleks on. I carefully applied the black polish and removed the striping tape with the tweezers.



I added one black stud near my cuticle for the Dalek's eyestalk. The tweezers are easiest to grip them. I dipped them in top coat and applied them to my nails. I did the same for all the other studs that represent all the spheres embedded in their lower armour. I applied top coat, which had a bit of trouble getting around all the studs so you can see tiny bubbles. Those bubbles were barely visible on the nail though.




I am very happy with these and I could not stop looking at my nails. People at work thought they looked cool, even if nobody knew what they were supposed to be. Doctor Who is not well known here, which is a shame. They don't know what awesome they are missing obviously.

I wore this on my right hand as well, but because some of my nails are a bit shorter I only did them on two nails.


And lastly... Daleks and the Tardis to end this long post.

No comments:

Post a Comment